I fell in love! It really wasn’t my intention, it just happened. It wasn’t instantaneous. When she greeted me, there didn’t seem to be any chemistry, butterflies or fireworks but after 5 minutes of experiencing her skillful touch, it happened! Her name is Thelma. Thelma is a masseuse and I would soon have firsthand knowledge of how talented she is.
Thelma began the hot stone massage and without saying a word, I knew immediately that she was both skillful and that she loved what she did. It was expressed in her mannerism and in the way she massaged. Her fingers worked magic and seemed to become one with my body. Her aura was calm and peaceful. It was just so obvious that Thelma did this type of work because she loved it and the pay was just an added benefit.
I fell in love with the manner in which Thelma performed her job. She provided me with an excellent customer experience. Thelma was:
- She explained the process before starting the massage
- As she encountered something worth explaining (stress ball, dehydrated skin, etc.) she explained what it was and what the root cause of it is
- Thelma’s confidence was evident in the way she responded to my questions
- Thelma’s experience with performing this type of massage helped her to share without hesitation
- Thelma’s massage had me walk out of the spa a different woman than the one who entered. I felt a hundred years younger and my body felt like it was brand new.
- As she massaged, she identified the various muscles impacted by the huge stress balls and those that showed evidence of becoming major issues in the future. Then she set about breaking them up and providing much need relief.
- Thelma provided a serene environment. She spoke as necessary but honored the need for quiet to aid in relaxation.
- She did not touch me inappropriately and she ensured my body was properly covered except for the area she was working on
- Thoughtful – She Provided Advice
- Thelma provided advice to help relieve and eliminate the stress balls
- She also provided suggestions to eliminate the tight muscles
The reality of this situation is that I had various services at this particular spa before – at both locations. I can say without hesitation, each experience was either average or unsatisfactory. I only utilized them on this occasion because I had been given a gift certificate and was in real need of a massage.
My experience with Thelma exceeded my expectations for the service I would receive at this particular spa. I can assure you of one thing, I will return to this spa ONLY if Thelma provides my massage services. If Thelma is consistent in her service delivery, she will earn herself a committed customer. Wherever she works, whatever the price, I will be there! If only every employee, loved their job/profession as much as Thelma does, how amazing an experience every customer would have.
Tip of the Week: When employees love what they do, it allows them to connect with the customer and provide a memorable customer experience. When customers find an employee who provides exceptional service, they return and patronize the business. This leads to loyal customers. The flip side to this is that whenever that employee moves, so do your customers. To help retain superstars like Thelma, be sure to provide an environment for employees to be happy, provide development opportunities and offer fair pay and benefits.